Saturday, August 25, 2007

On letting go 1

As with every move, I weeded out belongings and had a big yard sale. Especially since I knew I was going to a real small space- I was ruthless. Still I had plenty of stuff left. I carted bags and boxes to the new digs. I would take over a load and put it away before the next load. I found an amazing number of places to stash stuff in the small space. High shelves put up by previous tenants. The kitchen cabinets held quite a bit. Under the bed. The folding shelf units I bought. I packed them all. I was feeling quite self satisfied with my efficiency.

That worked until I actually got in and started living in the space. Then I discovered it was all a balancing act. If I wanted something, I had to move ten other things to get at it. If I moved wrong- or sometimes if I moved at all, things came sliding off shelves, out of hiding or crashing down. My frustration level started into the red zone.

It was clear. More had to go.

No comments: